What is VDS Cover and who are the Veterinary Defence Society?
The VDS are a mutual insurance company run by experienced veterinary surgeons on behalf of the veterinary profession, which reflects the needs of the modern veterinary professional.
Thus giving peace of mind to both the Veterinary Surgeon and to the Veterinary Practice
Policies can be taken out either as an individual Veterinary Surgeon or by Veterinary practices who will have a group policy which may be updated throughout the year and renewed annually.
From 2014 the VDS included personal Criminal and Disciplinary cover for Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVNs) within practice policies.
If you are a vet & are planning on locuming we highly recommend that you take out VDS cover before you do so. You can often be covered on the practices own policy, but carrying your
own will give you peace of mind and assurance regardless of where you work.
The VDS -
· Insure the vast majority of the practising profession against the effects of claims of negligence
· Ensures that each case is handled by a veterinary colleague experienced in claims management
· Defends reputations and finances against unjustified claims and offers compensation when appropriate
· Includes cover for negligence resulting in human injury
· Provides legal representation at criminal and disciplinary hearings
· Offers advice and guidance to members by phone, and Newsletters and publications.
The Veterinary Defence Society
4 Haig Court Haig Road,
Parkgate Industrial Estate,
Phone: 01565 652737